BC Ferries #FerryHair 2022 Photo Contest
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSSARY. PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES FULL AGREEMENT WITH AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONTEST RULES.
The #FerryHair Photo Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. (hereinafter referred to as “BC Ferries” or the “Sponsor”). Eligible entrants must capture an original photo of a person’s or pet’s ‘ferry hair’ while on board one any of our vessels and post the photo to their Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account using the hashtag #FerryHair. If your posted photo is selected to win the weekly prize, you will be notified directly by BC Ferries. You will have 48 hours to respond and, subject to compliance in full with these Official Contest Rules and Regulations (“Contest Rules”), you will be eligible to win.
See below under How to Enter
for specific entry requirements and Winner Selection
for judging criteria.
The Contest opens at 12:01 am Pacific Daylight Time (”PDT”) on August 23, 2022 and ends at 11:59 pm PDT on September 16, 2022 (the “Contest Period”).
To enter and to be eligible to win, entrant must have an active Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account. Entrants must be legal residents of British Columbia and be nineteen (19) years of age or older. Employees (and their parents, siblings and children, and persons domiciled with employees) of BC Ferries and its agents, parent, affiliated or related companies, subsidiaries, divisions, prize suppliers, and promotional and advertising agencies and administrators, are ineligible to enter. Winners of any BC Ferries contest within the three (3) months preceding the start of this Contest (including persons designated by such winners to take ownership of prizes) and persons domiciled with any such winner are not eligible to enter.
How to Enter
NNo purchase necessary. During the Contest Period, post your original photo of a person’s or pet’s ‘ferry hair’ while on board any of our vessels on BC’s coast to your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account using the hashtag #FerryHair. By posting your photo, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to comply with these Contest Rules. You also understand that your photo will be available to be viewed by any and all users (who search whichever social media platform you used) using “#FerryHair”. By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by the Contest Rules and the decisions of BC Ferries, which are final with respect to all Contest-related matters. No purchase necessary.
Only original entries posted with the #FerryHair hashtag during the Contest Period will be considered.
The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are completely released of all liability from each entrant in this Contest. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding the Contest must be directed to Sponsor and not the respective social media platform.
BY SUBMITTING A PHOTO, THE ENTRANT AGREES THAT THE PHOTO COMPLIES WITH ALL CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE RULES. THE SPONSOR AND THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH IT WILL BEAR NO LEGAL LIABILITY, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE USE OF THE PHOTO BY THE SPONSOR AND THE SPONSOR SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY AN ENTRANT IN THE EVENT IT IS SUBSEQUENTLY DISCOVERED THAT THE ENTRANT HAS DEPARTED FROM OR NOT FULLY COMPLIED WITH ANY OF THE RULES.
Your submitted photo must showcase a person or pet with 'Ferry Hair' on board a BC Ferries vessel. Photos submitted must have been taken within the last year. Your submitted photo must never have been previously exhibited publicly or selected as a winner in any other contest. To be eligible for entry in the Contest, your photo must meet the following specific requirements per social media platform:
a) FacebookAcceptable extensions/types:
JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF or TIFF files.Photo Max size:
25 MB. Facebook recommends uploading photos under 15MB.Max width:
2048 pixelsMax height:
b) TwitterAcceptable extensions/types:
GIF, JPEG, PNGPhoto Max size:
5MB; animated GIFs can be up to 3MB.
c) InstagramMax width:
1936 pixelsMax height:
By participating in the Contest, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules and by the interpretation of these Contest Rules by the Sponsor, and further warrants and represents that his/her photo:
- is original to him/her and that the entrant has all necessary licenses, consents and rights in and to the photo and all of its components (if applicable) to enter the photo in the Contest;
- does not and will not violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
- does not contain any reference to or likeness of any third parties, unless consent has been obtained from all such individuals (or their guardian if such third parties have not reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence) to the sharing of their image. If your photo does contain the image of individuals other than yourself, you represent and warrant to BC Ferries that you have obtained all necessary rights from all such persons to share their image online as part of your participation in the Contest and you agree to indemnify BC Ferries from and against any and all claims of any kind arising out of your participation in the Contest and/or your sharing of your photo;
- will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights and/or interests of any third party, or give rise to any claims for payment whatsoever; and
- is not defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and further that it will not contain, depict, include, discuss or involve, without limitation, any of the following:
- Sexual activity;
- Crude, vulgar or offensive language and/or symbols;
- Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups;
- Content that endorses, condones or discusses any illegal, inappropriate or risky activity, behaviour or conduct;
- Personal information of individuals, including without limitation, images, names and addresses (physical or e-mail), except as permitted by these Contest Rules;
- Conduct or other activities in violation of these Contest Rules;
- Commercial messages, comparisons or solicitations for products or services;
- Any identifiable third party products and/or trade-marks, brands or logos. For example, any clothing worn by persons appearing in a photo must not contain any visible logos, trade-marks or other third party materials;
- URLs or links to any websites; and
- Any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor and/or the contest judges in their sole discretion.
Any photo that the Sponsor and/or the Contest judges deem, in their sole discretion, to violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Contest Rules will not be eligible. Any submitted photograph displaying a disregard for safety or depicting unsafe or dangerous practices or acts will not be eligible.
By entering the Contest by uploading a photo on their Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account, each entrant, if their entry is selected (in accordance with “Winner Selection” below), grants to the Sponsor, a non-exclusive license to publish, use, adapt, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use their submitted photo, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason. By entering the Contest and uploading a photo, each entrant also agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its advertising and promotion agencies, the Contest judges and each of their respective agents, employees, directors, successors, and assigns against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action. For greater certainty, the Sponsor and/or the Contest judges reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to ask the respective social media platform to remove any photo, or to request an entrant to modify or edit his or her photo, if a complaint is received with respect to the photo, or for any other reason.
By submitting an entry, each entrant acknowledges that he or she has read and understands and agrees that he or she shall be bound by these Contest Rules. The entrant acknowledges that his/her photo may be posted or linked to or used in any media by BC Ferries in its sole discretion.
There is a weekly prize available to be won during the four (4) week contesting period, consisting of one (1) BC Ferries gift certificate valued at $100; and round trip ferry vouchers valid for one (1) driver, a standard size vehicle and one (1) passenger; applicable on all BC Ferries routes with the exception of Inside Passage, Central Coast and Haida Gwaii routes.
The winning photos may also be featured, subject to BC Ferries sole determination in its discretion, in a BC Ferries Vacations advertising/marketing campaign.
Prize must be accepted as awarded, may not be sold or transferred and is not convertible to cash. BC Ferries reserves the right to substitute the Prize in whole or in part in the event that all or any component of the Prize is unavailable. Some additional restrictions apply.
BC Ferries will review posts and select one (1) winner weekly to be announced on the BC Ferries social media channels. Selections will be based on the degree to which BC Ferries considers, in its discretion, each entered image to:
- be original;
- be creative;
- be relevant to the Contest theme of 'ferry hair';
with each of the above criteria being equally weighted.
Before an image is declared a Finalist and posted on Facebook, the entrant who submitted the image will be contacted by BC Ferries and required to confirm their eligibility, their agreement to comply in full with these Contest Rules and their agreement to have their photo posted and will also be required to:
- sign and return an Image Copyright License and Winner Agreement, confirming their grant to BC Ferries, of (a) a non-exclusive license to publish, use, adapt, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use their submitted photo, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, in a BC Ferries Facebook album and/or other BC Ferries marketing/advertising materials; and (b) all consents required, including authorizing BC Ferries to disclose his/her personal information publicly inside or outside Canada for the period of one (1) year for the purposes of broadcasting, publishing and disseminating his/her name, city of residence, image, likeness, sobriquet and voice, in connection with any promotion or publicity, and/or for general news, entertainment and information purposes at no additional compensation to the selected Finalist, beyond being declared a Finalist in the Contest; and
- where applicable, obtain from any and all third parties whose image is contained in their photo (or their legal guardian if such third parties have not reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence), consent to the disclosure of such person(s)’ personal information, in the form of a Third Party Consent/Release provided by BC Ferries, authorizing BC Ferries to collect, use, broadcast, publish and disseminate their image, photograph, likeness, or reference to them, in any advertising or publicity, in any medium, inside or outside Canada, without any further compensation or notice.
Notification of Winners
Selected entrants who uploaded their image to Facebook will be contacted via a Private Message on Facebook from the @BCFerries Facebook team. If the selected entrant has not ‘liked’ the BC Ferries Facebook page, than Direct Messaging will not be possible; in this case BC Ferries’ social media team will “reply” to the photo with a message requesting that the selected entrant contact it directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
, in which case the selected entrant must do so within 48 hours of BC Ferries’ message. Selected entrants who uploaded their image to Twitter will be contacted via a Direct Message on Twitter from the @BCFerries Twitter team. If the selected entrant is not a “follower” of the BC Ferries Twitter page, than Direct Messaging will not be possible; in this case BC Ferries’ social media team will “reply” to the tweet with a message requesting that the selected entrant contact it within 48 hours directly via email at email@example.com
. Selected entrants who uploaded their image to Instagram will be contacted via a comment on their Instagram post from the @BCFerries Instagram team, requesting that the selected entrant contact it with 48 hours directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If an entrant does not reply within 48 hours and agree to comply in full with these Contest Rules and to have their photo posted, he or she will be disqualified and an alternate entrant will be selected as a Finalist in accordance with the selection process explained above. Entrant must also provide contact information as requested by BC Ferries.
General Contest Rules
By entering this Contest, entrants automatically agree to accept and abide by these Contest Rules. All decisions of BC Ferries with respect to any aspect of this Contest, including without limitation the eligibility of entries, are final and binding on all entrants in all matters as they relate to this Contest.
BC Ferries assumes no responsibility for garbled, lost, late, delayed, destroyed or misdirected mail, voice messages, e-mail or any computer errors or malfunctions. No correspondence will be entered into except with entrants selected. BC Ferries does not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, seeding or printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer line or network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. Entry materials or data that have been tampered with or altered are void. If for any reason, in the opinion of the BC Ferries, in its sole discretion, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, or if the administration, security, fairness, integrity or the proper conduct of the Contest is corrupted or adversely affected, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond their control, BC Ferries reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest including cancelling any method of entry, and select a winner from previously received eligible entries. BC Ferries reserves the right to modify the Contest Rules without materially affecting the terms and conditions hereof. BC Ferries reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Contest Rules or otherwise in a disruptive manner. Any attempts to deliberately damage any Contest website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made the BC Ferries reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent of the law. BC Ferries shall not be held responsible for any errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest including any damage to an entrant’s computer equipment, system, software or any combination thereof, as a result of their participation in this Contest or from downloading any material from the Contest website, where applicable.
Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. Personal information collected from selected entrants, entrants whose photos are mirrored on the BC Ferries’ Instagram tab on Facebook, and third parties whose images are in a selected photo, will be used by BC Ferries for the purpose of administering or promoting this Contest, or as otherwise described in these Contest Rules. Personal information is collected by British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
. By entering the Contest, entrants consent to the use and disclosure of their personal information as described in these Contest Rules (or, where applicable, in the winners’ full release and indemnity form) or as set out in British Columbia Ferry Services Website Privacy Statement (see www.bcferries.com). Except as set out in these Contest Rules or as consented to by an entrant or a third party, BC Ferries will not sell, share or otherwise disclose personal information of entrants to third parties except as permitted or required by law. Any inquiry concerning the personal information collected, used, disclosed or held by BC Ferries should be directed to the Social Media Specialist at (604) 803-2029 or addressed to British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. at 12800 Rice Mill Road, Richmond, BC V6W 1A1.
In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these Contest Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest related materials, including but not limited to point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of these Contest Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by BC Ferries and or its affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.